Thursday, October 27, 2011

Miracle of a Healing Touch




As Christians, we read and study about the miracles of Jesus. How he laid hands on the lame, the blind and demoniac and they were healed. Often the Bible says that many people tried to touch him and those that did were made whole. Even charismatic churches practice the Biblical principle of laying hands upon the sick to administer healing. Jesus said that believers will lay hands on the sick and they shall recover, yet far too many Christians don't believe in the miracle of the healing touch. Others believe that healing can only occur within the church building and only after the word is preached on healing. What I want to explore in this article is the non-traditional healing touch that can occur anywhere there is one who believes in healing.

The healing ministry of Jesus permeates the work that I perform wherever God sends me. When God called me he just told me that I would heal people with his word and with his power moving through my hands. It has been my experience that God's healing power has a mind of its own. It flows whenever and where ever it is needed. Years ago, a secretary in an office where I was working had a headache and asked if I had aspirin. I quickly responded, 'No aspirin. Just healing hands and anointing oil.' Her response, 'I'll take it!' She had never had hands laid on her, but heard about it from people she knew. So, I laid hands on her and the power of God nearly took over that small office. Not only did she get healed, but God revealed to me what she did to cause the headache. Then while stocking product at a friend's store in Hollywood, a famous actor came through the front door and immediately I sensed in my spirit that he was ill. There was a pull on my spirit to release healing to him. I was returning to the back of the store when my friend asked me to take over the register. At that time this actor was ready to check out. I rang up his order and the minute he handed me his credit card, healing power went from my hand through the credit card to this man's hand, and he felt it. I pretended not to notice, but he kept staring at me while I finished his order. For a week or so after that incident, that actor would come by the store and stare into the window to see if I was working. We never exchanged words, but God exchanged his sickness for healing, and there were no church songs or Bible verses mentioned between us. I just obeyed the Spirit of God and healing was released.
Likewise, God has given me avenues for my own healing. He has prescribed certain raw foods and juices to strengthen my body, and periodic fasting and colonics for cleansing impurities from my system. In addition, God told me to listen to the Bible on tape as another way of healing both the spirit and body. He has also led me to therapeutic massage for relaxing, nurturing and healing my body. Usually, after prayer and meditation is the only time of relaxation afforded me. But there have been days when the Holy Spirit has commanded me to go the spa. There is one particular spa in Santa Monica, California where the minute I show up, God is there. The massage therapist is very spiritual and loves God and it becomes a holy experience, and afterwards I can sit in the quiet room and pray for hours.

God has blessed me with massage therapists who have healing powers in their hands. There have been days that my allergies were out of sort or one day my legs and feet were inflamed and an emergency massage with my favorite therapist took care of the issues. I even invited a therapist friend of mine to bring her massage chair to one of my battered women's support group meetings. I taught on forgiveness and the power of loving healing touch. It was a very emotional session and the women loved the head and shoulder massage. They didn't have to remove their clothes, nor did they have to fear that the person touching them was going to abuse them. It was wonderful!

Which massage offers the best healing depends upon the ailment. For example, a person under stress would benefit greatly from a basic Swedish massage. If you have stiff muscles and aches and pains from activities such as sports, then a Deep Tissue or Sports massage can be great for pain relief. For people with severe migraines or head and neck pain, Cranial Sacral massage can be healing. Tai massage involves a therapist maneuvering the body with movement to balance the body's energy levels. My therapist was from Thailand and gave wonderful Tai massages. Sometimes it would be painful, but afterwards I would feel great. One her most memorable moves was while she sat on my lower back with her back against mine. She locked her arms under my armpits and rocked back and forth while stretching out my back. Another healing massage that has done wonders for me is called Lymphatic Drainage. It enhances the body's natural circulation.
I had the pleasure of working for one of the premiere luxury spas in Los Angeles. There were many believers among our staff and there were days that people called to make reservations and asked for prayer at the same time. They were coming to the spa to find healing. Corporate executives called to book appointments to boost morale of their staff members. From teachers, to politicians to Hollywood celebrities, church and civic leaders; they all came to the spa in search of peace and healing. It was a ministry; a service to the community that I would recommend to anyone.

Paula Matthews is an author who enjoys motivating and empowering her audiences to achieve their personal best in all areas of their lives.